Monday, August 6, 2007

Kiev Weather.


The number one question people have about a place they've never been, it seems, is "What is the weather like there"? So, just what IS the weather like in Kiev?


Before I found myself here on a more or less permanent basis, I had the same question. So I asked. "What IS the weather in Kiev like?" And more than once I got the answer, "it's like New York City". Good, I thought. Having spent 95% of my prior life in NJ, and getting my weather from NYC TV and radio stations, I knew what NYC weather was like. I could handle this.


So, is Kiev weather like NYC weather? In a word, NO. Being more similar to NYC than, let's say, Miami or Anchorage, does not make the weather remotely similar at all. Much of it has to do with geography. Kiev is at 50º north, with makes it farther north than everywhere in the USA, except Alaska. Furthermore, NYC abuts the Atlantic Ocean, which influences every aspect of it's weather, from how cold it gets in the winter to how humid in gets in the summer. Kiev, not being near any sizable body of water, does not likewise get affected.


As for this summer in Kiev, the daily high temperatures have averaged between 72-86ºF, 22-30ºC, with low humidity. There have been some downright cool days, and thunderstorms numerous times. Unofficially, it did reach 104F, 40C in parts of Kiev back in May. Although these days you see air conditioners sprouting up around here like mushrooms after a rain, in my almost two years here, I have done without, and have no need or desire to purchase one for home use. (Our car does have it, however).


There will be more about the weather in future postings.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

T said...

Has the weather changed much in Kiev? I am looking for historical weather/temperatures for August... any ideas? What is your resource for the weather now that you live there?

Matt said...

Maybe this will work. I don't think it tracks back to last August, though.

http://weather.weatherbug.co.uk/Ukraine/Kiev-weather/historical-weather.html

Matt said...

Or try one of these sites. Something is bound to give you what you want.

http://www.google.com/search?q=historic%20weather%20kiev

T said...

Yup, I did that... I it's weird... anecdotal recollection seems to differ greatly from scientific :P

Does it really hit 40C consistently in Kiev during July and August? Has it at all while you've been there that you can recall by memory?

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds